Yo Gotti Interview


Konnected – Growing up in Memphis was there a particular life event, that forced you into the streets?

Yo Gotti - Just the responsibility of wanting to see my mother have a better life; making sure my sister had a better life. I went ahead and accepted that responsibility when I was young and it paid off. That was really the only goal. Everything that came with it was more of a surprise to me, because initially it was just about
getting my mama and my sister, really my whole family because I come from a big one, out of how we were living. It was about getting them to a better place and making sure they had a better life. We are so blessed to have made that happen.

Konnected – Is that why you wear so much jewelry with you when you out and about, because you didn’t have much growing up?

Yo Gotti – I have to have options its like clothes I like to pick and choose. I came along way.

Konnected – Do you feel like you are finally getting your respect and just do?

Yo Gotti – I think I have a lot of work to do but it’s growing, I have to keep grinding. You know I’m a hustler.

Konnected – Speak on some of the deals you had before you got to Epic.

Yo Gotti - I bought myself out of two different deals when TVT folded I paid a half a million dollars. Also with RCA that didn’t work, so I like where I’m at. Remember it’s a joint venture CMG is primed to be for Epic what Roc A Fella was for Def Jam. What No Limit was for Priority. What Cash Money is for Universal.

Konnected – LA Reid didn’t give you a TLC deal did he lol?

Yo Gotti – No I got a good CMG deal no Rava 4 (laughs).

Konnected – What’s up with you and Juicy J?

Yo Gotti – I talked to him and Project Pat. I don’t have any issue with him and didn’t want him to think so. Trust me if I had a problem it’s not that hard to get at someone in Memphis. We good no problems.

Konnected – You and Gucci Mane also had some back and fourth what was that about?

Yo Gotti – He was mad that we was dropping mixtapes on the same day. We were supposed to be partners I thought and cool. He went on his twitter rant and I called him several times and then he finally answered, talking about me doing a song with Jeezy and that Jeezy tried to kill him. I was like man y’all live in the same city and you know how homes feel about you. He not who everyone thought he is and now the world sees it.

Konnected – How do you feel about your album I AM? Yo Gotti – I think it’s some of my best work that I put together. Konnected – What made you do a song like Act Right?

Yo Gotti – I was in LA for like a month chillen on that West coast vibe. I was getting so many beats that it started to sound the same. I heard one beat and hopped on it and put a hook and a verse on it, I was going to give it to Big Von because it sound like a Bay area track. Then Shi Money heard it and said it’s a real record then Jeezy and YG hopped on and it took off.

Konnected – How do you determine what artist you going to do a song with?

Yo Gotti – Most artists I already know before they where big. You got to have some type of movement and following for me to rock with you. Also you have to make good music and we have to be able to vibe on a track.

Konnected - What’s up with the T.I. and Hustle Gang situation? We thought you were signed to them.

Yo Gotti – People took that situation the wrong way. My big homie T.I. was just saying he rock with me and we get money together. We like brothers.

Konnected - The rap has gone from selling records to selling out shows. Are rappers in a better place now, or before? Has the game changed for the better?

Yo Gotti - I look at like this, I believe your success is based off what your goals are. Are you trying to feed your family or have plaques on the wall and be broke? In that case, I think the game is in a better place. We have all heard of famous artists who are broke. Then we know of artists who may have had only a song or two on radio, but have a million or two dollars off that quick come up. Speaking for myself, my first priority is to take care of my family. That’s first and foremost. My mama & sister living how she wants to live now.Keeping my family out of prison best I can. That is success to me. I created that without selling records. Making Yo Gotti a brand. But I already got the money, so now its about the rest. I’m a hustler. Long as I can walk and talk and see, I’m going to get money regarldless. No matter what I do. True hustler. But like LeBron James, we already know how good the man is. We know he can play. He’s rich. But he still want a ring. N!ggas know my music hot. That’s proven. Now its time to get the ring.


No comments:

Post a Comment