Ellis – Lets welcome the one and only Leon, you know you’re doin’ it big when you’re known by only one name. With all the projects we know you for, lets get right to it. Where are from and how did you get started in acting?
Leon – I’m from New York City and I actually got into the business by fluke. I was a high school basketball player and they needed someone to replace an actor in this production who couldn’t play. They asked me if I would try out for it, I got the role got into the union (actors guild) and its been on from there.
Ellis – Ok so on the classic movie Above The Rim with 2Pac those were really your shots and not cut aways and editing? (Laughter) So what is your first love then? Is it sports or music and entertainment?
Leon – Well like most boys growing up it was sports first. Football was my first love then basketball become more dominant, then music and acting. But I don’t play basketball anymore, I have turned into a tennis junkie, I play it all the time.
Ellis – Of all your projects, what would you say is your personal favorite?
Leon – To be honest, I don’t really watch my work after I do it because I’d be too critical of myself. So whatever is your favorite is my favorite, I do this for the fans. I love what they love.
Ellis – One of my personal favorites, besides Above The Rim is The Temptations movie. You killed that impression of David Ruffin. Can you really sing like that?
Leon – No man, it was all re-mastered vocals of David Ruffin himself, no one can sing like David Ruffin. As an actor I’m always trying to get as deep into my character as possible. Especially when I’m playing a person who actually existed, I feel that I owe it to that person and their families to portray them as accurate as possible.
Ellis – That’s what makes you such a great actor. Now that you’ve turned to doing live plays on stage, what is the main difference in your preparation?
Leon – Well you have to be more focused because its live acting and there is no take 2. You don’t get a chance to re-shoot a scene so you have to be extra sharp.
Ellis – How do you choose your projects? Is there a team that chooses for you or do you select which roles you want? I’m asking because whatever you role you play seems to fit you very well.
Leon – To be perfectly honest, I don’t always choose my projects. Sometimes my projects choose me. For me it’s always about a believability factor, you have to believe my character. And most importantly its all about the story. I want to be involved in good stories and hopefully my character will contribute to the story line. I was told once as a young actor; it’s not about how many roles you take but how many memorable roles you have.
Ellis – And now its like we’re being reintroduced to Leon, the reggae artist. Tell me about that.
Leon – Well let me clarify, I’m not a reggae artist. I’m a lead singer in a band that plays reggae music and soul. Being on stage singing is totally different from acting because on tv and in movies I’m playing someone else, a role. When I’m singing its real because its all me and my band. Funny story, we actually had trouble booking gigs under our original name so I changed the name to Leon and The Peoples, now we get a lot more gigs. (Laughter) Ellis – Ok pop question: If you could jam on stage for one night with any artist living or dead, who would it be?
Leon – Damn that’s a hard question man. I would have to say back in the day like ‘71 or ‘72 at The Fillmore it would be Sly & The Family Stone and Leon and The Peoples. Since you put me on the spot, that’s what I’m going with.
Ellis – Well if you could bring back one artist to work with on your next album, who would it be?
Leon – Bob Marley. Period. His music was so powerful and delivered a message to the people.
Ellis – Before we wrap up, we have to let you promote. What is the name of your new single and where can people get it?
Leon – The single is called ‘Love Is A Beautiful Thing’ and you can get in on ITUNES and anywhere else you can buy music. We do feel good music to make you feel good about life and think about things that are going on. We talk about love a lot, real love, not that artificial and superficial love.
Ellis – Thank you so much for taking time out with us. As we close out, what do you want fans to know about Leon, the man of many talents?
Leon – Well, I want to keep my personal life separate. I’m old school about that, I like to keep my personal life out of the media spotlight. I just want people to appreciate my roles and my talent. In today’s world of social media and reality tv and all that, its hard but you do what you can.
Ellis – Oh wait, the ladies will kill me if I don’t ask this question. The ladies love Cool James but they also love Leon too. Are you single?
Leon – Yes I’m single as in, I’m not married. (Pause then laughter)
Ellis – Alright well lets leave it at that. Peace man and good luck with your new single.
CHECK OUT OTHER INTERVIEWS IN THE KONNECTED MAGAZINE ISSUE 6 CLICK HERE
Interview by Ellis B

No comments:
Post a Comment