I was having a conversation today with a lady who works with artists , both mainstream and local. Well we got on the conversation about artist image. She began discussing things like, "the artist must match his sound." And you want to know something? She is absolutely right. I have been at showcases, open mics, talent contests, etc and I often say to myself regarding the artist..."Does He Really Make Sense." Lots of times, the answer is.."Not really." Your outward appearance must match your sound. It is extremely important to recognize whether you look the part of an artist and of the lyrics you are spitting that takes their craft serious
or whether you have the appearance of someone who is there to be able to say you rap or sing.Think about it...if a rock singer dresses as a ballerina, would anything make sense coming out of that artist"s mouth? Are you going to take that artist serious? Do you honestly believe anyone is, in fact, going to listen to the words that are coming out of his mouth? I really don't think so. One would be talking trash about the outfit the artist is wearing. Thays something to think about the next time you take the stage.
You, the artist must understand that in this business of music, image is everything. You whole persona is everything. When you as an artist walk into a venue and you are dressed as the artist you are portraying, people begin to look and wonder, WHO IS THAT? People begin to become inquisitive and feel drawn to talk to you about the business of music. Your image if put together properly will speak before you open your lips to sing a single note or speak a phrase with rhymes. You are then looked at as a person who may actually know the role of an artist...you will spark the interest of the.people who surround you in the music scene. I suppose what I am saying is, if you don't look like you know who you are as an artist, then how can any be able to recognize you as an artist too?
Miaz Toreal
No comments:
Post a Comment